- Corneal astigmatism is when the cornea is misshaped.
- Lenticular astigmatism is when the lens is misshaped.
|Normal Anatomy of the Eye|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Heredity—a family history of eye disease or disorders, such as keratoconus
- Eye surgery—certain types of eye surgery, such as cataract (lens of the eyes are cloudy) removal (less common with modern techniques)
- A history of corneal scarring or thinning
- A history of excessive nearsightedness (a visual defect where distant objects appear blurred) or farsightedness (a visual defect where distant objects are seen better than objects that are close)
- Blurred (objects appear fuzzy) or distorted (objects appear twisted or out of focus) vision
- Excessive squinting or closing of the eyes
- Visual acuity assessment test (VAT)—this test is used to measure how well you can distinguish different size letters or symbols (very large to very small) at a specific distance
- Refractor test—this test uses a refractor, a special instrument that has interchangeable lenses of different strengths to measure how well you see objects at various distances. The ophthalmologist or optometrist will ask you to look through the lens and read a chart that is several feet away. The ophthalmologist or optometrist will adjust the strength of the lens based on your responses.
- Keratoscope—a device used to detect and measure the presence of corneal surface curvature
- Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK)—Laser beams are used to reshape the abnormal or irregular curve of the cornea.
- Laser in situ Keratomileusis (LASIK)—This is a type of PRK; the ophthalmologist uses a laser beam to reshape the curve of the cornea by removing corneal tissue.
- Radical keratotomy (RK)—Small incisions (cuts) are made partial thickness into the cornea.
- Laser-assisted subepithelial Keratomileusis (LASEK)—This procedure is not as commonly used; however, it may offer additional benefits especially for patients with thin corneas or at high risk of an eye injury.
American Optometric Association http://www.aoa.org
Astigmatism Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/astigmatism/DS00230/DSECTION=3
National Eye Institute (NEI) http://www.nei.nih.gov
Prevent Blindness America http://www.preventblindness.org
Canadian Ophthalmological Society http://www.eyesite.ca
The Canadian National Institute for the Blind http://www.cnib.ca
Condon PI, Mulhern M, Fulcher T, et al. Laser intrastromal keratomileusis for high myopia and myopic astigmatism. Br J Ophthalmol . 1997;81(3):199-206.
Goss DA. Refractive error changes in mixed astigmatism. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt . 1999;19(5):438-40.
Holladay JT, Moran JR, Kezirian GM. Analysis of aggregate surgically induced refractive change, prediction error, and intraocular astigmatism. J Cataract Refract Surg . 2001;27(1):61-79.
Komaroff AL, ed. Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide . New York, NY: Simon and Schuster; 1999:423-425.
Kymionis GD, Aslanides M, Khoury AN, et al. Laser in situ keratomileusis for residual hyperopic astigmatism after conductive keratoplasty. J Refract Surg . 2004;20(3):276-8.
Miller JM, Dobson V, Harvey EM, et al. Comparison of preschool vision screening methods in a population with a high prevalence of astigmatism. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci . 2001;42(5):917-24.
Pesudovs K. Autorefraction as an outcome measure of laser in situ keratomileusis. J Cataract Refract Surg . 2004;30(9):1921-8.
Taneri S, Feit R, Azar DT. Safety, efficacy, and stability indices of LASEK correction in moderate myopia and astigmatism. J Cataract Refract Surg . 2004 Oct;30(10):2130-7.
Tobaigy FM, Ghanem RC, Sayegh RR, Hallak JA, Azar DT. A Control-matched comparison of laser epithelial keratomileusis and laser in situ keratomileusis for low to moderate myopia. Am J Ophthalmol . 2006 Dec;142(6):901-908. Epub 2006 Sep 8.
Varley GA, Huang D, Rapuano CJ, et al. LASIK for hyperopia, hyperopic astigmatism, and mixed astigmatism: a report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology . 2004;111(8):1604-17.
- Reviewer: Eric L. Berman, MD
- Update Date: 09/01/2011 -